Unitarian Universalist Presentations or Sermons
by Harold W. Wood, Jr.
All members of the lay-led Unitarian
Universalist Fellowship of Visalia, are all called to be "ministers"
in our congregation and to the world. I joined the UU Fellowship of
Visalia on April 3, 2005.
Many of my presentations for our Fellowship have
been on environmentally-related topics, flowing from my Pantheist approach
to religion and the UU 7th Principle of "Respect for the interdependent
web of all existence of which we are a part." One of my first projects with the congregation was to lead us to extablish a Green
Below are presentations I have made at the Unitarian
Universalist Fellowship of Visalia (and occasionally in other venues, and not including those which I only read a sermon prepared by others or acted as a facilitator for another speaker or a video).
- July 23, 2017 - How the Sikh Langar Came to the Visalia UU Fellowship by Katherine Singh, Daljit Singh, with Introduction and Video Links by Harold Wood
- May 28, 2017 - Evolution Sunday: Religious Leaders Speaking Out for Science, presented by Harold Wood Reflecting writings by Michael Zimmerman and the Clergy Letter Project
- May 4, 2014 - Pete Seeger - UU Folksinger Tribute by Harold Wood - In words and song the day after what would have been his 95th birthday, I celebrated beloved UU folksinger Pete Seeger, who said that his mission in life was "speaking truth to power - without being thrown in jail too often"!
- March 9 2014 - Evolution Sunday: "Meditation on our Ancestors" by Jon Cleland-Host, adapted by Harold Wood (complete order of service)
- February 25, 2013 - "Celebrating and Teaching the Epic of Evolution" - Celebrating "Evolution Sunday" and the theme of evolutionary spirituality, and why we need to provide this scientifically valid and spiritually enriching view to our children and youth as an alternative to fundamentalist world views.
- April 22, 2012 - "John Muir as Spiritual Guide" - illustrated Keynote presentation, updating my 2010 presentation on the topic.
- January 2, 2012 - "Celebrate World Peace Day"
Singing from our new Peace & Justice songbook. Practice Peace - ritually purging and shredding the list of things you want to stop doing, abandon, or give up for the
- September 25, 2011 - "The Spirituality of Service"
- February 20, 2011 - Evolution Sunday - "Evolution for Everyone" You don't have to be a biologist to be an Evolutionist! Learn how the
science of natural selection can be applied to all kinds of topics,
including human behavior, environmental protection, and the
evolution of religion.
- August 29, 2010 - "The
Neo-humanism of Paul Kurtz" - The man credited with
virtually inventing "secular humanism" now parts ways with humanists
who advocate intolerance against people of religious faith rather than finding
- April 25, 2010 - "John Muir as Spiritual Guide." Describes how
John Muir's life and writings offers insights into the nature of Divinity
and Reality in the natural world.
- February 21, 2010 - "Evolution Sunday: Evolution: What's in It For Me?"
Adapted from the “Cultivating
Cosmic Conciousness” (online course) by
- November 15, 2009 - "Annual Blessing of the Animals & The
Inspirational Animal World of Joseph Krutch"
- September 27, 2009 - Ralph Waldo Emerson and Taoism. Led by Harold and
Janet Wood. Review of the book, The Tao of Emerson.
- August 23 and August 30, 2009 - Viewing of video play: Walden:
Ballad of Thoreau, followed
by discussion, Parts 1 and 2. This is the story of the final two days Henry
David Thoreau spent in his cabin before leaving Walden Pond. Ralph Waldo
Emerson, respected essayist and former minister, gave Thoreau the small
plot of land along the shores of Walden Pond to build his cabin and live
for two Ry ears. In this play, most of the conversation between Thoreau
and Emerson are actual quotes culled from the body of their literary work.
The Walden play is presented as a celebration of the Earth, a celebration
of nature, and a celebration of an American literary giant.
- July 12, 2009 - Report of 2009 General Assembly.
- October 5, 2008 - Albert
Schweitzer, Honored Unitarian (PDF) - Second Annual Blessing of the
Animals; compiled by Harold Wood from various sources.
- June 22, 2008 - "UU's Take on Global Warming" - updated version
of previous presentation, adding information beyond the Statement of Conscience
information about the UU Ministry for Earth and the Low Carbon Diet Challenge.
Presented at UU Fellowship of Porterville.
- October 7, 2007 - "Blessing of the Animals" - Special service
honoring companion animals and wildlife, co-lead with L.D. Theme this year
was from St. Francis of Assisi.
- August 19, 2007 - "Experience" by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Deeply
introspective essay of Emerson struggling for a perspective to reconcile
faith and skepticism, acknowledging life's limitations as well as celebrating
its possibilities. Discussion led by Harold Wood. (Part of summer Emerson
as Spiritual Guide discussion series.)
- July 29, 2007 - Report on 2007
General Assembly - by Harold, Janet & April
- July 8, 2007 - Emerson Discussion Series Session 5: "Self-Reliance."
Discussion led by Harold Wood on what is perhaps Emerson's most famous essay,
which celebrates genius as a current of energy or power that can be tapped.
- April 22, 2007 - "Change a Light, Change the World"
Day presentation -Special slide show going beyond the basics
of Compact Fluorescent Lights: Summary | Power
- December 10, 2006 - "UU's Take on Global Warming"
Summary of the Unitarian Universalist Statement of Conscience on Global Warming
and Climate Change.
Download illustrated sermon:
PDF | Power
- August 20, 2006 - “Spiritual Journeys” two members, Sandy Beals
and Harold Wood, shared how their life experiences led them to Unitarian
Universalism. Even though both have dropped many of their childhood beliefs
about religion, they found that their fundamental values about respect for
others and appreciation for the great Mystery remain intact and find full
expression in Unitarian Universalism.
- April 23, 2006 – “Reduce Your Carbon Footprint with Carbon
A special Earth Sunday presentation.
Download illustrated sermon: PDF | Power
Download handout: UU
Ministry for Earth & Carbon Fund (PDF)
- March 19, 2006 - "Restore Hetch Hetchy - Yosemite's Buried Mountain
the opportunity we have to allow Nature to re-create another Yosemite Valley.
Imagine the opportunity we have to allow Nature to restore Yosemite National
Park's Hetch Hetchy Valley, the place John Muir called "a grand landscape
garden, one of Nature's rarest and most precious mountain temples." We viewed
on restoring Hetch Hetchy, and
I discussed the solutions which can replace
the water and energy that would otherwise be lost if O?Shaughnessy Dam were
removed and Yosemite?s Hetch Hetchy Valley
- January 29, 2006: “Matthew Fox’s Creation Spirituality”
by Harold Wood (1 MB - PDF)
by Matthew Fox (224 kb - PDF)
- December 11, 2005: “Creating a Green Sanctuary: Environmentally Friendly
Practices for Unitarian Universalist Churches”, by Harold Wood.
Point Presentation (3.1 MB)
- November 6, 2005: "United Nations Sunday"
Achieving Goals for
Our World Community: Unitarian Universalism and the United Nations Millennium
- September 25, 2005: I presented a service and read Nature
and the Universe as a Spiritual Path by Dr.
Paul Harrison. Introducing the Pantheist approach to spirituality.
- July 10, 2005 - Led discussion on "Global
Warming and Other Environmental Concerns" including the UU
Ministry for Earth and the California
Interfaith Power and Light.
- April 10th, 2005 - Special early viewing of "Oil
This hour-long DVD depicts the battle over oil development within the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge. Regular service followed, with an excerpt and summary
of the film, with me leading a discussion and a brief session on "What
You Can Do."
On May 27, 2009, I began a new blog, which largely
provides quotes or summaries of ideas from people greater than I:
Wood Spirit - Musings
of a UU Pantheist: Ideas and musings on spiritual growth and planetary
responsibility from the perspective of a freethinking mystical naturalist.
| Earth Songs
| Environmental Holidays
| Environmentalists on Stamps
This page is maintained by Harold Wood.
E-mail: harold (at) planetpatriot.net